Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Little About Me


   I come from a long line of accomplished artists and musicians, so art has always been a huge part of my life.  It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I began expressing my art through jewelry making.  I started with beading simple necklaces and bracelets then began working with wire, and fell in love with the way wire could be transformed into wearable art.  Most of my skills have been self taught through trial and error, although in June of 2010 I studied metal smithing at Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids.  Working with metals and semi-precious gemstones opened up a whole new side to my work.  


   I often get my inspiration for a piece of jewelry by seeing a particular gemstone and designing the piece around it.  A lot of the stones I use are set very simply to let the stone itself be the center of attention.  My favorite gemstones to work with are moonstone, labradorite, and fire and boulder opals.  I’m always amazed that these stunning gemstones were created by nature.  I also love working with various agates and jaspers.”


My work currently features a lot of settings with sterling silver that is oxidized to bring out the richness and depth of the designs.  My jewelry reflects  natural, rustic metals that compliment the earthy stones I choose for my jewelry.  I have taken my love for wire art jewelry and turned it into step by step photo tutorials, so that I can share myself-taught skills to others.


  I live in beautiful West Michigan with my husband and five children.  I am a stay at home mom who took my love of art and jewelry making and turned it into a profitable hobby. I now sells my wearable art and step by step tutorials online and at local craft shows.   I wanted to have a place to share my thoughts, my inspiration, and my process as a jewelry artist so I decided to start this blog.  My hope is to inspire, educate, and let you into my world of being a jewelry artist and a mother to five.

No comments:

Post a Comment